Sunday, April 19, 2009

First Race of the Season

Heaven Help Me! I ran the Patriots Day 5 miler this morning. Believe me when I say, I had no business running this race. I have not been training regularly at all, due to illness and overall family craziness. I haven't run at all in about 3 weeks. So, anyway, I headed to Portland and lined up in the corral with about 400, much better prepared runners. It was a gorgeous day for a run, but you could have fooled me, because I was paralyzed with fear at the start. My concern, would I be able to finish? I have run a lot of races in the past and I have always been prepared and confident. Not today. I was so jammed up while waiting for the starting gun, I thought I was going to throw up. Anyway, the whistle went off and I began shuffling along. Soon, everyone, and I mean everyone had passed me. I was truly "bringing up the rear" the only ones behind me were the "walkers." About 1.5 miles in as we entered Back Cove, I thought it was the end, I couldn't breathe (did I mention I am getting over a cold?). I was huffing and puffing as if I had smoked a half pack of marlboro lights last night (I know what your thinking, I didn't-I'm not that dumb). So, I did it, I started walking. I walked for about a 1/4 mile, and then started running again. Curiously, I passed a few of those folks who had earlier passed me, they too, had found themselves running out of gas. I kept moving at a snail's shuffle, but I was still in the race. At around mile 3, there was a water stop; THANK GOD! After hydration, I was back in action. I finished the last two miles at a much quicker pace than the first three, amazingly and I crossed the finish line with just a little it left in the tank. I was really proud of myself! Then, I drank three bottles of water (and didn't have to pee-truly a sign of a hydration problem) and then headed home. I got home, ate two huge hamburgers from the grill and then took a long cool bath. After that, naptime. Now, you might be saying, wow you must feel good. THAT WOULD BE WRONG! I am in so much freaking pain right now, I am popping Advil like Tic Tacs. My lungs feel like they have been wrung out.
What did I learn? I learned that I need to get back on the training wagon...........and get serious........after a few days of rest.....and a massage.

No comments: