Saturday, February 21, 2009

A journey of self discovery

I have been really introspective lately( hence, my silly blog). I think it's the impending 40th birthday that has got me on this journey of self discovery. I am revisiting topics that I thought I understood but clearly didn't in an effort to figure out who I want to be. Now, don't worry I am not going to go out and join the peace corps or start walking the earth like Cane on Kung Fu. I am just spending a great deal more time with myself. I am also spending a lot more time with Jesus too. I have started going to church again and I have even joined a six week prayer group for lent. I realized that I don't know much about "my church" and I really am interested in learning more. I also feel in these uncertain times, that my faith is helping me to cope.

My 5 year old asked me at dinner tonight, "mommy what was your first job?" I told him I had a job as a dishwasher (at that fine restaurant Jake Copley's). Like any good five year old would, he then asked me about my second job and my third job, etc, etc. I found myself reviewing my entire employment history over Pork Tenderloin with a 5 year old. It felt like a job interview. But it made me realize that I have been many things in my life. I have been a dishwasher, a shoe salesperson (the perks at Thom McAn were sweet), a waitress, an office assistant, a telemarketer (ugh!), a collector, a manager, a senior manager, A senior vice president and on and on. But that's not really what defines me. If I go back through my "careers" I really have been a social butterfly, a schmoozer, a communicator, a coach, a teacher, an organizer, a planner etc. Then I look at my life and think actually I have been a talker, a flirt, a partier, a girlfriend, a wife, a mother, a volunteer, a steward, a daughter, a sister and a friend. And I am adding to that list, "an active catholic." That's something I haven't been in a long time and I am really enjoying it. Be sure to pray for the people in my prayer group....oh wait, you won't have to, we'll do it ourselves. God Bless

1 comment:

owner said...

We will spend our whole life trying to find ourself. I have had several journeys in this life so far and it keeps changing with every experience I encounter and every change that I encounter. Some have been very earth changing others have been full filling. Right now I'm at peace with myself and the journey I'm on.
And the only way it works is if you our at peace with your self.
Bob