Monday, February 2, 2009

Punxatawney Phil---I curse your name.

Yup, the little rat saw his shadow this morning, and you know what that means? Six more weeks of winter. Ugh! Has the diminutive little bastard ever not seen his shadow? I doubt it. Big wimp.
Now, living in Maine, I am used to winter, don't like it, but I'm used to it. The problem is (why, oh why, is there always a problem) I am trying to train for a half marathon here people. And......I have this love/hate relationship with my treadmill. It's what one might call, a necessary evil. I need to run at least four times a week to stay on pace with my training plan. I would love to run outside, but it's just not safe. There's six feet of snow on each side of the road. This just makes for a dangerous situation. I live in a pretty rural area so the local yokels drive down the road pretty fast. I'd hate to become a statistic and not live to see my fourtieth birthday just cause "Wilbur" picked me off in his pickup on the way to the ice fishing derby ya know?
So that means I need to embrace the treadmill as best I can. But I really do feel like a hamster on a wheel. I would really prefer to run outside, where I can check out other people's houses while I run and wonder what kind of freaky deaky stuff goes on inside. (oh, you know you do it too) But, according to one ornery little vermin in Pennsylvania, my dreams of running outdoors will have to wait a while longer, like six weeks. bastard.

No comments: